[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Mon Aug 28 10:25:14 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at verant.com>
To: 'mud-dev at kanga.nu' <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Sunday, August 27, 2000 11:45 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] UO rants

    Hasn't stopped a couple of million FPS players yet.  The war isn't
"futile" any more (or less) than the game itself is.  Regardless of what
their direct motivation for playing the game, who holds what Relics impacts
whatever their focus is (since they offer various realm-wide bonuses).  If
PvP gameplay is fun in and of itself, few participants will stop to think
about the philosophy.

    People will compete to see how fast they can reduce outposts.  They'll
try to gather really large invasion forces and storm the enemy cities.
They'll incite invasions in order to gather Relics so they have a chance of
crafting that uber-weapon.  Yes, it's all ultimately futile, but in an OLRPG
with a months-long character development cycle a "Reset" MPBT style wouldn't
work (and ask House Liao how well it worked even there).  The side that was
outnumbered and losing before a reset would still be outnumbered (and
shortly losing) afterwards.

    Futility, or frustration, you pays your money and you takes your
chances.  In my experience, people who have "burned out" on one level of PvP
tend to get political and start organizing at higher levels.

--Dave Rickey