[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon Aug 28 17:06:32 CEST 2000

> From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>

> > Dave Rickey

> >     Yes, it means there's no such thing as complete victory,
> > things are
> > going to always be at one level or another of stalemate.
> > It's that, or a
> > mature state where one realm completely owns a server.
>
> Do you worry that players will pick up on the futility of the battle and
> stop fighting it?

I've thought about this, but I don't think it has to be a problem.

In Air Warrior II, 3 teams battle perpetually with little hope of total
conquest.  No one seems to mind too much.  Why?  I think that it is because the
3 teams are really only a necessary context in which to rack up personal kills,
form team friendships, etc.  They provide a necessary level of challenge that
cannot be emulated by AI to the same degree.

Now granted, AW2 is a long way from an MMORPG, but I still think that a team vs.
team battle can go on indefinitely, providing context to competition,
cooperation, personal victories, and friendships,  without really frustrating
too many players.  Being the "winner" might only involve holding the most relics
or commanding the most territory.  The team that does this can feel like it is
winning in spite of the fact that total conquest is unlikely.  They still have
bragging rights.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."