[MUD-Dev] Transportation (was: UO rants)

Warren Powell warren.powell at team.xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 30 09:18:37 CEST 2000

On Tuesday, 29 August 2000 22:48 Patrick Dughi wrote:

> The worst part is that the harder you make it to
> speedwalk/etc, the more
> likely that one person will sit down and eventually 'break'
> the system.
> Nowadays that means passing on the info to friends, and
> suddenly, any work
> you made to make your system interesting is ignored.
>
> 	Maybe this isn't so bad - after all, it's only so novel for so
> long.  By the time they find friends with the autowalk script, they've
> probably done it at least once... but still, anything that can be
> auto-scripted means that my game is better played by a program than a
> person... is there a good way to stop this sort of thing?

One of the ways that I got around the speedwalking issue was to make it
non-client specific and put the speedwalks into the server itself. Each
character carries a map-book, which is an object with up to 10 entries
comprising a name, a string depicting the steps to take and a few other
flags for ownership etc. A PC can start recording in his map book in a
similar way to recording speedwalks and then save them into his map book
(although I made a limit of 255 steps). The map engine will handle opening
or unlocking doors (if the PC has the right keys) and keeps track of where
they are in retracing the maps steps. All movement in the mud is limited to
one step every few seconds to give mobs a chance to attack and other events
to occur around the PCs so they may need the restart feature. The PCs can
also trade maps with one another and NPCs can also have map books that they
can give to players for common routes or for quest rewards. Works quite well
with clans and other groups as they can lead members to the good stuff. Also
helps players who dont have access to a client with speedwalk.

tavolir.