[MUD-Dev] Transportation (was: UO rants)

KevinL darius at bofh.net.au
Wed Aug 30 13:16:39 CEST 2000

>>> Patrick Dughi wrote
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, KevinL wrote:
> 	Maybe this isn't so bad - after all, it's only so novel for so
> long.  By the time they find friends with the autowalk script, they've
> probably done it at least once... but still, anything that can be
> auto-scripted means that my game is better played by a program than a
> person... is there a good way to stop this sort of thing?

Hrm.  I've got a book here on game design (cute book, interviews a whole bunch
of leading lights), and one of the first things it says is "don't make the
players solve the same thing over and again".

I'd use hinderances to movement, but not to try and make them not script - I
have no problem with players scripting.  However, if their script is still
going to take a few minutes to actually run through the world, then you've
achieved the goal - making the world feel larger, and removing the ability to
"border-jump" for PK.  Make the various stalling tactics actually take some
time, rather than just making them "complex" to script.

Is scripting actually a problem?  Is there a way to address scripting's
problem specifically, whatever it is?

KevinL
(but then, I'm designing something that provides server-side scripting - which
is an insanity best not thought about to begin with ;)