[MUD-Dev] Copyright Question for the Hobbyists

Alex fletchra at qsilver.queensu.ca
Thu Aug 31 21:58:42 CEST 2000

Kristen L. Koster <koster at eden.com> wrote:
> How do you handle the issue of copyright ownership on contributions
> made to your hobbyist game? I'm thinking specifically area files and
> code as well as web and other documentation content here by unpaid
> staff.
Here's the position that we took at VieMud.  This applies to both code
and ideas, with the additional caveat that everything currently in the
game is copyright as is, and as such cannot be taken or used without
permission.

These copyright 'rules' are similar to a few other muds I've seen out
there, including Dreamshadow (where I got the original idea for putting
these words into a public and written form).

   For those worried about copyright, VieMud's position on copyright with
regards to areas is, and has always been:

1) Sole copyright belongs to the author of the zone.
2) The author gives VieMud a permenant licence to use the submitted
   copy as we see fit.  This includes modifying it or removing it
   at any time, but does not include the right to distribute it.
3) Under no circumstances does the author have the right to dictate
   the way the zone is used by VieMud.  Conversely, VieMud claims
   no right to exclusivity.  The author is free to give his or her
   work to any other mud, at his or her discretion.  VieMud will
   never distribute the zone, and will refer any requests for same
   to the author, where the author's current contact information is
   known.
4) When the author submits the zone as complete, a copy will be made,
   and this copy will be given to the author.  Any modifications made
   as per item #2 will remain in the game copy only, unless the author
   updates their own copy manually.

Ae.