[MUD-Dev] Copyright Question for the Hobbyists

Lazarus lazarus at ourplace.org
Thu Aug 31 22:45:48 CEST 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Kristen L. Koster wrote:

> How do you handle the issue of copyright ownership on contributions made to
> your hobbyist game? I'm thinking specifically area files and code as well as
> web and other documentation content here by unpaid staff.

Copyright for the work lies soley with the author.  The author irrevokably
grants the mud a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the work
and all derived works.  You won't find any work contributed to our mud on
any other site by our action without the express permission of the author.

We will almost always give an author a copy of the derived work unless
such derivation contains game secrets.  In the one case where an author
lost their original work, we restored a copy of a prederived work from
archives for them.

I have refused to contribute to muds that do not respect the work of
individual contributors by requesting an exclusive license or transfer of
copyright without offering monitary compensation consumerate to the work,
and being a software professional with 20 yrs experience, I don't come
cheap :)