[MUD-Dev] \"An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG\"

Rhys rhiannon at bendcable.com
Sat Dec 2 04:04:03 CET 2000

<EdNote: Quote of list signature trimmed>

>>  <<EdNote: HTML version of text copy removed>>
>>
>>  >>> "John Buehler" wrote
>>  > KevinL writes:
>>  >=20
>>  > > I don't see that it requires graphical interface - such a system has =
>>  been
>>  > > discussed on mud-dev before, usually favourably.  If I label you
>>  > > as "JB", and
>>  > > then 'tell JB blah' or 'give JB blah', there's no reason the mud =
>>  can't
>>  > > recognise my naming scheme and act accordingly.
>>  >=20
>>
>>  Uhm Question.
>>  Won't letting each and every player label each and every other player as
>>  they see fit increase
>>  the size of the world-database or whatever by a good amount?
>
>Storing an extra data item per person you choose to label?  It'll increase it
>somewhat, but firstly I'm guessing most people won't bother naming most other
>people - they'll remember the ones that are important to them, think maybe 30
>or 40 people, up to about a hundred at max.  Second, the storage is only on
>your char for the people you choose to remember, not across every object in
>existance.  Thirdly, if you want features, you pay for 'em, one way or another
>- personally, I think this is a very cute feature that'd add a very different
>flavour to a mud, thus it's probably worth the cost.  If you were really
>concerned, you could start timing out memories - haven't seen them for a
>while?  Not gonna keep recording their name.  Tie that back to intelligence/
>whatever stat... ;)

I have the amount of players someone can remember linked to their
memory skill and I have introduced errors based on someones
perception. So if you don't have eagle eyes, you might mistake Joe
for john, its pretty infantile right now, but moving forwards towards
a pretty fun system. Also if you d/l yourself into one of the android
bodies you get a huge memory and no forgetfulness, if you are in a
police unit you get instant truename access for everyone, since you
can compare them to a database. My mud is set in a futuristic world
in a single very controlled city, so this works, but obviously
wouldn't in a medieval setting. But you could have this linked to a
spell like truesight or some such. As for memory usage, ram is cheap
right now, and a player isn't going to notice if the mud takes up an
extra meg of ram, they will notice if the mud gets sluggish from
using memory saving but processor/disk intensive routines. Course if
memory starts using swap the point is moot anyway.

--
-Rhys