[MUD-Dev] \"An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG\"

KevinL darius at bofh.net.au
Sat Dec 2 13:50:46 CET 2000

>>> "Xuri" wrote
> <<EdNote: HTML version of text copy removed>>

> > KevinL writes:
> >=20
> > > I don't see that it requires graphical interface - such a system has =
> been
> > > discussed on mud-dev before, usually favourably.  If I label you
> > > as "JB", and
> > > then 'tell JB blah' or 'give JB blah', there's no reason the mud =
> can't
> > > recognise my naming scheme and act accordingly.
> >=20
>
> Uhm Question.
> Won't letting each and every player label each and every other player as
> they see fit increase
> the size of the world-database or whatever by a good amount?

Storing an extra data item per person you choose to label?  It'll increase it
somewhat, but firstly I'm guessing most people won't bother naming most other
people - they'll remember the ones that are important to them, think maybe 30
or 40 people, up to about a hundred at max.  Second, the storage is only on
your char for the people you choose to remember, not across every object in
existance.  Thirdly, if you want features, you pay for 'em, one way or another
- personally, I think this is a very cute feature that'd add a very different
flavour to a mud, thus it's probably worth the cost.  If you were really
concerned, you could start timing out memories - haven't seen them for a
while?  Not gonna keep recording their name.  Tie that back to intelligence/
whatever stat... ;)

KevinL