[MUD-Dev] Permadeath or Not?

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Mon Dec 4 10:55:33 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corey Crawford" <myrddin at seventh.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 4:07 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Permadeath or Not?

> Hi all!
>
> There's an interesting discussion about permadeath going on, on the
> new Star Wars Galaxies site, at
> http://www.station.sony.com/starwars/.
>
> The link to the actual thread is:
> http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum2/HTML/000280.html
>
> If anyone is interested :)

My god!  Are they mad!  Are the developers actually considering
perma-death, or is this just something brought up by players?

The primary reason EQ seems so tedious to so many is because the
penalty for death is seen by many (including myself, considering the
high probability of random unavoidable death) as being extremely
steep, and therefore people take the safest, yet most boring, route to
advancement.  I don't personally subscribe to this, and try to have
fun in the game whenever possible, but then, I don't really advance
much (if at all) any more either. :)

But to raise the stakes even further?

*shudders*