[MUD-Dev] Permadeath or Not?

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Dec 6 09:58:34 CET 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at verant.com>
>> From: mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu
>> [mailto:mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu]On Behalf Of
>> Travis Nixon
>>
>> My god!  Are they mad!  Are the developers actually considering
>> perma-death, or is this just something brought up by players?
>
> We haven't said anything on the topic. The topic is purely brought
> up by players.
>
> We haven't said much of anything about anything, to be honest.

I don't understand it, myself.  The concepts of "Permanent Death",
"Cumulative Character", and "Commercial Game" would seem to be an
impossible mix, it seems to me this has to be a vocal minority that
thinks that permadeath is a magic bullet for enforcing roleplay,
getting rid of grief players, and slicing virtual bread.

A lot of them seem to want to throw in "Unrestricted PvP" to the
bargain.  It seems like this is yet another face of "Fantastic
Realism", people want a world that's like the real one as much as
possible, but without the boring parts.

--Dave Rickey