[MUD-Dev] Levels of immersion

John Vanderbeck agathorn at cfl.rr.com
Mon Dec 11 17:48:46 CET 2000

From: "Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk>
> For me, role-playing intent is not a direct component of immersion.
> You can pull the strings of a puppet to make it act like it's a
> Russian Princess and not feel like you are the puppet. You can design
> a character and role-play it to the hilt without ever feeling you ARE
> that character. Role-playing may well act as an aid to immersion for
> some people, but I don't believe it's an essential component. You can
> slip into a character or from there into a persona without consciously
> realising you're doing it at all.
>
> Richard

Actually I would tend to flip this.  Instead of saying that Role Playing
acts as an aid to Immersion, I would argue that instead Immersion acts as an
aid to Role Playing.

If you feel immersed in the world, you will tend to play that role.  On the
other hand playing the role doesn't mean you feel immersed in the world.

Hmm.. Now that I say that out loud i'm not sure I agree with myself :)  I
think, perhaps, both directions are correct.

- John Vanderbeck