[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Dec 11 23:01:57 CET 2000

rayzam writes:

> That seems to assume that everyone starts off the same race, or a
> single race universe. Let alone no genetic differences, or
> differences prior to the age the player gains control of the
> character. Now, this isn't a bad thing per se. In my opinion,
> however, it limits backstory. Not only should the world have a good
> backstory, but so should the character. Or at least the possibility
> for it. That's a lot of what having a variety of races does, it
> gives a template background for the character: a merman has a
> different previous history than a rock troll or a wood elf. And even
> within a race, having attributes vary in starting characters aids in
> building a backstory.  This is more true if class and race affect
> starting stats.
>
> In the final analysis, having all characters start off the same,
> makes immersion into the game/world take longer for me.

I happen to also favor the 'vanilla' character approach to entering
the game.  Having to select significant attributes at character
creation time is a terrible mistake.  Players do not understand the
system and, therefore, get those attributes wrong.  They believe that
things work one way, or they simply don't appreciate the importance of
that one attribute.  Only later 'in life' do they find out that they
aren't going to be able to pursue what they wanted.  They're too weak,
they're too tall, whatever.

I would like characters that adapt to what the player has them doing.
So if you cast spells a bunch, you get good at casting spells.  If you
dig ditches a lot, you get good at digging ditches.  The attributes of
a character are hidden from view and they adapt towards being optimal
for whatever the player is getting his character to do.  If you don't
focus your activities on any particular thing, you remain a
generalist.  So for each way of enjoying the game, a different
character results.

This does not mean that you click your brains out in order to advance
in skill.  Anything that a game invites a player to do should be
entertaining.  If you can't make it entertaining, don't have the
players do it.

There are other elements to what I'd like to see, including having
character skill adapt to the difficulty of what they are doing.  So if
you are fighting against novices, your skill will go no farther than
novice.  If you are fighting against masters, you will eventually
emerge a master.  Doing things this way means that if the game
designer puts in a challenge at a given level, the player characters
will eventually accomplish it.  The only roof on skill is the limit of
the greatest challenge.

Having said THAT, skills should go up asymptotically to some upper
limit.  You can always advance your skill, but the increments get
smaller and smaller.

So you fire up the game, pick your race, appearance and starting
town/village/city and you're in the game and playing.

Note that you don't get the opportunity to fill in your past.  Your
past is provided by the game and is the same as everyone else: you're
a settler from a distant land that was wiped out by natural forces.
No real history, no family.  You have to MAKE everything from your
vanilla character.  You have starting faction with the town you're in
and that's about it.  They know you because you've been living in town
for a few months, and you know them.  But now that you're back on your
feet, it's time for you to earn your way and make your new life.

I'll stop now.  These posts always seem to wander quickly.

JB