[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Mon Dec 11 23:30:59 CET 2000

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 10:05:32PM -0500, John Vanderbeck wrote:
> If you boil it down, ANY system comes down to advancement.  It is all
> in how we represent and control that advancement and acquisition on
> power.

How about a system where everyone has a fixed personal pool of
points to allocate to abilities/skills/equipment/etc. Or maybe the
pool grows for the first week of play up to a maximum size. Regardless,
eventually the pool tops out and you can't, for example, get any
better as a swordman without dropping your ability to cast spells.
I don't see any advancement in such a system, but there is certainly
character growth and change.