[MUD-Dev] Building a New MUD

Fri Dec 15 21:11:16 CET 2000

<EdNote: Formatted to be readable>

Hi there all,

I hope I won't be flamed for this mail, considering it might be quite an=
overdone topic.

I'm looking into creating a (yet another) new MUD and I'm in need for
some= help with it. While I've been playing MUDs for over 4 years now,
I've= never quite been involved in the wizing process (I was a wiz
before, just= never got a chance to implement anything). I have some
coding experience= and the idea and general concept of creating a MUD
isn't strange to me.

I need to pick a codebase/driver for the MUD, and that's where my
first= problem begins. I was thinking of creating a driver from
scratch, but I've= had troubles picking out the 'proper' language for
it, and morever I= figured I need a lot more coding experience (and
MUD coding experience for= that matter), before I go out and develop
something of my own. Now I need= to decide on which driver I should
use, and I was hoping you guys will be= able to help me that. I
imagine that deciding on such a thing also relates= to what sort of
mud I hope to develop, but I'm not sure which details are= relevant.

Another thing I wanted to ask, is what thing I should plan before
actually= starting to code? I'd imagine that security, hierarchy and
other things as= well, but a list would be nice. One thing I should
clarify is that I do= have quite a few ideas for the mud and it's not
something that I just= thought of. I've had this thing stirring in me
for a couple of years now,= and I've finally decided to start doing
something about it.

Now, like I noted at the beginning of the mail, I imagine this topic
has= been raised before. If that's the case, then in order to not
repeat= replies, I imagine people can reply directly to me and thus
reduce= unwanted posts. I just figured I could get some tips while I
get updated= with the posts in this list (I'm somewhere in Dec' 99 now
;).

Thanks,

	- Ron