[MUD-Dev] Forks or Frameworks?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 22 09:45:03 CET 2000

Monday, December 18, 2000, 8:13:54 PM, Gavin Doughtie
<gavin at idealab.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine, who runs the MUD at ishar.com, said that most MUDs
> fork from one of the standard code bases and never look back. This
> was due to typically tight coupling of content and code.

> Are there projects afoot to provide a generic framework that can be
> revised independently of the content? I'm thinking specifically of a
> "D-Free" shared engine. The Worldforge project is the only sizeable
> one I've seen so far.

> Is it even advisable to attempt architecting MUDs around the
> traditional IT separation of data store/app logic?

Personally, I'd consider the LPmud servers to be an example of this --
the server itself implements the handling of connections, a scripting
language, and very little else.  Several other server types also do
this.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>