[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

Tess Lowe tess at havensong.com
Sat Dec 30 00:41:51 CET 2000

Travis Casey wrote:

> How else can long-term actions be handled, then?  One method is to
> have timed actions.

[snip]

> A second method is to make a single long-term action consist of
> multiple short-term actions.

[snip]

> A third method is to have such long-term actions happen "offstage"
> -- that is, the character does them while the player is logged off.

[snip]

> Any other ideas on how to implement long-term actions?

I'm not sure how widely this has been done, but I always felt the Dark
Ages system worked quite well. Everyone has a fixed amount of 'craft
time' that is refreshed each day. The craft time can be spent in
whatever way you want, eg giving a lecture at the university takes x%
of your craft time for the day, while tailoring takes y% for each
garment. Thus there is the perception of having a limited amount of
time to do things each real life day, whilst having the flexibility to
choose exactly when you want to perform your crafts, and not having to
wait for the results.

~Tess Lowe