[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Sat Dec 30 17:16:48 CET 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Ron Moore wrote:

> I was commenting earlier from a player's point of view on the
> Dragonrealms system as I played it around 3-4 years ago.  It may
> have changed significantly since then and I may be misstating the
> specific implementation.  So treat my comments as an attempt at
> reverse engineering with a few of my own mods;).  You'd have to
> tweak your algorithms for how fast you want levels to increase and
> what weights you want to add for little used skills, etc. so I won't
> use any actual numbers.

The whole skill kernel thing sounds like fractional levels to me.  So
why not have fractional levels instead?  Then you could get much
greater granulatity on the skill bonuses then you can with specific
levels.  Of course fractional levels raise a lot of the problems
inherent in levels in general...

Wombles!
David.