[MUD-Dev] Community Relations

Koster Koster
Wed Feb 2 08:51:24 CET 2000

J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 00:53:05 -0800

> Lovecraft  <dave at darkages.com> wrote:

> > J C Lawrence wrote:

> Yup.  I suspect at this point in VR societal development that the

> base nature to evolve towards heirachial systems cannot and should

> not be fought

Er, what real world social structures AREN'T hierarchical, formally or
informally?

> I'd argue the other side: Actively encourage cronyism and the like,

> and then once it gets bad enough, start shoring up the capabilities

> for the system to then swing in some other direction ("expressive

> fertility"), and see what happens on the other end of the swing.

The same thing again. At least, according to current sociological and
anthropological theory. Check out "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond,
which argues cogently that this stage is social development cannot be
improved upon without certain population densities and ratios of available
resources to caloric consumption. Which has lots of implications for mud
design that I have been mulling over for several weeks now.

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu