[MUD-Dev] voice vs. text

Lovecraft dave at darkages.com
Sun Feb 20 22:20:26 CET 2000

1. Would it be practical to consider text-to-speech and speech-to-voice
independently of the game?

It is an interface, somewhat analogous to the keyboard and the mouse.  Each
is independent of the game.

For example:
Speech analyzer transforms speech input into text input for the game.
Text input is no different to the game than the typed or moused command.

2. "Fireteam", a multiplayer online game, has speech.  They have a post
mortem in Game Developer magazine sometime in the last couple years.  I'm
not aware of others that do.  I assume Fireteam encodes and transfers the
sound.

3. Vaguely related, there is a product, Game Commander, which is voice
control.  I believe it substitutes spoken keywords for keyboard input.  It's
less useful, in my opinion, because keyboard reaction time is much faster.

4. Vaguely related also, is general use of speech commands for computing.  I
have no idea how good the products are.  From the very few I've heard using
it, it was a novelty that didn't surpass keyboard efficiency.

Dave Kennerly
Game Director
www.darkages.com

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu