[MUD-Dev] Fair/Unfair? Scenarios (fwd)

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Mon Jan 10 13:44:19 CET 2000

On 1/10/00, at 11:45 AM, Eli Stevens (Grey) wrote:

>I had been considering having the occupants of adjacent rooms visible to
>everyone as part of the standard 'look' command.

We did this for large open spaces on Discworld.  It works quite well...
You also get messages like:
The happy wizard moves southeast in Sator Square.
The happy wizard leaves Sator Square to the northwest.

etc...  Makes the squares really feel like a busy part of the city.

>One thing I like about it is that it gets rid of the silly "is here"
tagged
>onto the end of everyone's short desc.  Crowded areas could become a
>problem, but I think that by only allowing a player to notice a subset of
>the present/nearby people, the spam should not be too bad (if you are in a
>crowded hallway, you just _cannot_ see everyone).  This would be in
>conjunction with the features of the attention thread mentioned a while
>back, rooted at (or near):

We didn't get rid of the 'is here' though.  The description lines end up
looking like:

The happy beggar is meditating to the northeast,  the spotted dog and the
beggar are standing to the west and a red badger is here.

Good luck!
David.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu