[MUD-Dev] Optimized Object Storage

Ian Macintosh iman at issystems.co.nz
Tue Jan 11 07:06:29 CET 2000

> J C Lawrence wrote:
> Sent: Saturday, December 18, 1999 12:37 PM

> > Firstly, my opinions.  Let's you know what probably influences me
> > in certain directions.  I strongly dislike OOC solutions, or
> > transparently artificial solutions.  Object decay fits both of
> > those to my mind, so I dislike it.  That's the philosopical
> > viewpoint.
>
> I'm curious as to what you think of my mana based decay strategies
> as regards your artificiality concerns?
>
>   Loosely: All objects consume mana at some rate.  Magical or
> magically enhanced objects consume mana at higher than normal rates.
> (There are various flavours of mana, and objects require feeding of
> different percentages of the different mana types, but this can be
> ignored).  If an object is unable to satisfy its appetites they
> decay at a rate proportional to their demand for mana.  Ergo, a
> magical object with a high mana feed requirement will decay very
> rapidly should it find itself starved, possibly falling to dust in a
> matter of seconds for a very high mana object.
>
> What's more amusing about this is that carrying many objects,
> particularly several high magic objects, at the same time becomes an
> intense problem.  How to keep them all fed with mana at the same
> time such that none of them decay?  The typical result is the rapid
> destruction of all high magic objects once they are in proximity
> (they starve each other).
>
> A few messages I ran across while digging the archives on this area
> that you might find interesting:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q1/msg00158.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q2/msg00095.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q2/msg00431.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q3/msg00480.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1998Q2/msg00479.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1998Q3/msg01325.html

Hi JC.

Sorry for the slow reply.  Holiday season now over :(

I like the idea, because it provides a plausable reason for what happens,
rather than a somewhat inexplicable generic decay that leaves the player
with a "well, that's just how it works, don't ask me why".

I thought it might be a bit harsh though the way it is described.  Perhaps a
lower consumption rate per item.  That was just my feeling reading it.

Regards,

Ian.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu