[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jan 15 21:20:02 CET 2000

Matthew Mihaly wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Colin Coghill wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 04:48:01PM -0800, Ilya, Game Commandos wrote:
> > >
> > > I plan to strongly espouse that the hobbyist community dump all of
> > > the restricted code bases (the DIKU line, nearly all the LPC line,
> > > and just about everybody else actually!)
> > > and to find one that could be used commercially
> >
> > Some of us (including me) feel that the "restricted" ones you mention
> > are a *good* thing for the community.
>
> How are they good for the community? As far as I can tell, all they do is
> ensure that the community is full of a bunch of crappy, generic muds that
> are essentially paint-by-numbers copies of each other.

Whether the codebases had restrictions or not has no baring on the quality
of the muds.  If you took away the restrictions we'd *still* have thousands
of rubbish stock muds - except they'd all be pay to play.  In turn that
would make people even *more* likely to start their own up rather than
having to pay to play on someone elses mud.

At least with the restrictions it ensures that the majority of text-based
muds are run by hobbiests, while those are just in it for some easy money
are put off by the idea of having to create a mud from scratch.  Those few
muds which *are* written from scratch for commercial use are then put in a
better position to compete.

KaVir.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu