[MUD-Dev] Embedded languages, object persistance... ack.

icecube at ihug.co.nz icecube at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 19 09:22:15 CET 2000

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 01:17:25AM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:20:42 -0500
> Jay Carlson <nop at mitre.org> wrote:
>
> > The big lose of persistence is that it's harder to get things back
> > to a known state if your code screws up.
>
> In general this is a function of transaction and logging models.
> Given a well implemented transactional model rolling back the log to
> the last set of compleat transactions *should* be cheap and fast.

I read Jay's comment more along the lines of "if your code screws up and
creates 50,000 Swords-o'-Death scattered across the world" rather than a
transaction issue. If your world is persistant, you can't just "fix the code
and reboot" to get back to an undamaged game state.

--
Oliver Jowett - icecube at ihug.co.nz - http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~icecube/
KeyID: 1024/679D94C5  Fingerprint: CD94 5270 E2F4 339F 6A90 05C9 9DE4 EECC

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu