[MUD-Dev] Community Relations

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Wed Jan 19 18:40:22 CET 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Matthew Mihaly wrote:
>=20
> Another analogy would be the old fashioned school system. "Listen to
> what I teach you, do what I say, and don't tell me I am wrong, because
> then I'll whip your butts". I guess there must be a reason for why
> that's considered old fashioned?

Yes, but I don't see how it is relevant. The children were forced to go to
schol. No one is forcing you to play a mud. The issue of choice is the
paramount issue to me.

>=20
> I think perhaps the police is a better analogy, but the police is
> supposed to be guided by strict rules. And in the physical world you
> have much less control and risk much more. So that kind of respect is
> not really required in a MUD.

Required for what? Again, you are implicitly assuming that all mud admins
do and must have the same goals.

>=20
> =3D> I think you are coming up with excuses.  I doubt that such "violent"
> respect built on fear is required to administer a mud efficiently.

Oh, i agree, definitely not required for that, but I hardly see where
administering a mud efficiently is the goal of the vast majority of mud
admins.

I wrote:
=20
> > the Gods/admins. Players will die, or suffer other punishments for
> > insulting a God though, and sometimes the punishments may weaken the
> > player significantly until he has apologized, often publically, and/or
> > performed some difficult or tedious task that the God sets for him.
>=20
> Does the "evil" God reward you for insulting the "good" God?=20

Gasp, definitely not. Doing so would weaken the respect that the
institution of Godhood must hold for our system to be effective. Gods
actually will generally punish even their own followers for overt
disrespect to any other God, though probably not as strongly as if the
insult was directed at the God whose follower is doing the insulting.

--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu