[MUD-Dev] Community Relations

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 20 23:55:23 CET 2000

Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> Like the way people generally tend to act? Given that I have yet to meet
> someone who does not bend morality to fit circumstances, it's hardly a
> surprise that admins do it. Christians are against murder, unless it's
> done on a really large scale it seems.

There there Matt.  You need to find another bogeyman to beat.  At least dare
I suggest, "publicly".  We Christians haven't been let on a really good rampage
in such a long time.  The last two centuries have been quite the party for
the "enlightened atheist".   Yeah I know, atheists are against murder, but they
seem to do it on an incredibly really large scale.  They do put the E in
efficiency.  Now I'll stop here and apology in advance for my bigotry and
stereotyping.

Anyhow isn't this the anti-thesis of the topic "Community Relations".  Presumably
WE want better relations not worse.  The collective WE, meaning mud-dev is
frankly interested in better relations.  Ooops, that's a mistake, eh?  I mean what
right do I have to even begin to speak for such a diverse group.  Anti-patterns of
mud administration are good fodder I think, and appropriate in the realm of what
not to do.  Defending a bad example in the context of the rights of an administrator
to do it, doesn't really turn bad around to good, nor does it prevent a sort of
community judgment or consensus forming that "doing X is a bad thing".
Nor is community consensus always a bad thing.  I acknowledge there can be a
lot of corner cases here, where the beneficial qualities of some administrative
actions aren't immediately obvious.

The bottom line is 90% of players don't enjoy being f**ked around with by
some sadistic psychotic administrator.  And 90% of us don't plan to run
our muds like the Marquis de Sade.  So is arguing about the legal rights and
morality of the 10% relevant?  Do WE think they are entitled to some sort of
social justice or community respect?

> I have no problem at all with
> infanticide, or just leaving a baby outside to die of the elements, for
> instance, providing it is your baby.

We all have these odd beliefs and opinions.  I happen to think that the 37 million
babies that have been murdered in the last 25 years in the US is sickening.
It's a peculiar notion I hold, that is frankly beyond debate.

--
--*     Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD Email: jlsysinc at nospam.ix.netcom.com     *--
--*     Mud Server Developer's Page <http://jlsysinc.home.netcom.com>      *--

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu