[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Fri Jul 7 22:20:32 CEST 2000

It's been a while since I was last subscribed to the list (due in large
part to problems with Mozilla undeleting old messages), and I've worked
some more on my approach to dealing with grief players, so before I ask
for suggestions, here's a brief summary of the system as it stands now:

(1) Limited lives: I've taken a page from the DW mudlib's book here. I
saw this in action on Realm of the Dragon and liked the way it worked.
Death has few penalties if it doesn't happen often, but can be used to
force a player to delete if he's sufficiently unpopular with other
players. It also eats up some cash.

(2) Curses: I haven't seen this one on any other muds, so if you know of
one, I'd love to see it. I'm allowing players to put curses on anyone
they have a name for (note that I'm using an introduction system, so you
can only curse someone who's introduced himself, to whom you've assigned
a nickname, or who has killed or cursed you) that last indefinately.
They only take effect when the curser is logged in and do not have
severe effects. A given player can have only one active curse on a
single target, and can only curse a limited number of people. As a
result, players will eventually need to forgive and forget old disputes
in order to deal with new ones. Randomly cursing lots of people
shouldn't be very effective as a harassment tool, since you can't harm
them severely with one curse, yet they can cripple you since they have
the advantage of numbers. Curses don't require hunting down the victim,
so there should be no problem with powerful, skilled players being
immune (which is a big problem with pk as an enforcement tool).

Now here are my questions:

Do you see any big problems or loopholes here that I haven't noticed?

Are any systems similar to curses in use on any muds?

Anybody got any good, creative curses I could implement?
--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.