[MUD-Dev] Acting casual about casual gamers

Chris Turner christ at rd.bbc.co.uk
Sat Jul 8 13:02:52 CEST 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Greg Miller wrote:

> Rayzam wrote:
>
> >     Actually, you misinterpreted me. It's not the same area can be taken on
> > by any level of character. It's that when you create a new area, that area
> > idea/theme should be able to be coded for a specific level/difficulty for
> > characters, but that that level it will be coded for should be anywhere from
> > super easy to super difficult.
> >
> >     Example: Paladin takes over a village to launch a crusade on the
> > countryside.  The paladin could be a low level 1 paladin, the villagers
> > become level 0 mortals.  Or it could be the High Paladin of Crusades, level
> > 100.  Or it could be a Paladin level 30, etc.  My point is that a theme for
> > an area should be independent of the level of the area when it is finally
> > coded.
>
> But does it really make sense for a level 1 dragon to terrorize a
> village? Seems like thematic level independence is a reasonable
> objective, but you have to be careful not to go too far :)

It might just work if you don't specify the theme that strictly.  "Monster
terrorising village" as a theme works far better - lowlevel players might
have to take on a Ogre rather than a Dragon.

But the whole idea of areas is just silly anyway.  Or at least in their
current form they are because they don't really form part of a cohesive
world.  Even if they have a common theme, they're still isolated and treated
as seperate entities.  You know that if you're getting your butt kicked all
you have to do is move to one room outside the area and you're safe - the
occupants won't follow.

The above example(s) of themed areas in my mind are actually more akin to
dynamic quests.  Except of course they're statically assigned to the same
place.  Maybe someone should do a mud based on the film "Groundhog day" -
it'd fit in so well with current mud designs. *8)

Chris
--
christ at rd.bbc.co.uk   #include <stddisclaimer.h>   http://www.fysh.org/~maddy

   "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
             - Monty Python's Life of Brian