[MUD-Dev] RE: [MUD-Dev] Fantasy clichés (was: Acting casual about casualgamers)

Raph Koster rkoster at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 8 16:34:56 CEST 2000

Just as a counterpoint--I've seen the argument advanced that one reason why
Asheron's Call isn't doing as well as the other MMORPGs is that its
fantastical elements are too unfamiliar. To people other than the hardcore
players, AD&D fantasy is as fantastical as they are really able to stomach.
(It took a stage production of THE HOBBIT for my dad to be able to stmoach
any sort of fantasy whatsoever. When I asked him why, I was told, "because
the names and creatures are just too weird.")

-Raph