RE: [MUD-Dev] Re: Fantasy clichés

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Mon Jul 10 02:01:59 CEST 2000

What context was given to this area? How were Kurdaitcha presented? (They
certainly wouldn't be neutral pronouns, as they're exclusively male).

If I were presented with 'A Kurdaitcha', I would probably not be
particularly impressed. If it were 'An emu-masked man', I might pay more
attention. The point here is how you convey information, and its context.

Were they just wandering monsters, or did they actually serve their
purpose?

I know, as a player, I'd be quite interested to see one NPC stalking
another, and then pointing a sharpened bone at them and leaving.

You really cannot expect players to know what the Alcheringa is. It's truly
a wonderful word, but it's not common knowledge and treating it as such is
cheap and boring.

Of course, if I were playing an Elves and Dwarves kind of fantasy game, I'd
feel that accurate aboriginal encampment was well and truly out of place,
but I don't have a lot of patience with that kind of cultural cannibalism,
and I'm probably fairly unique in that.

-Zak Jarvis
 http://www.voidmonster.com