[MUD-Dev] A new combat system

Dragat123 at aol.com Dragat123 at aol.com
Mon Jul 10 08:22:20 CEST 2000

    I have been reading through Jarulfs Guide to Diablo, which includes the
formulas that are used in the game.  My eyes settled mainly on the parts
about battle, and I think it would be possible to model something similar in
a MUD.  Basically I am gonna throw the idea out, and if anyone has any input
on it, please send it.  I am toying with the idea of making a server based on
these ideas, so I really need your ideas as well...

    In Diablo, every 0.05 seconds an update event occurs, this is similar to
a 'turn'.  During this update the order goes Player, Monsters, Magical
effects, such as arrows.

    Each living thing exists in one of several states.  These include
walking, standing, attacking, casting spells, doing hit recovery and being
stoned.  One must finish their current action before they may start a new
one, unless they get hit.

    Combat is divided into the following steps

Pre-hit- checks to make sure it is a valid target
To-hit- Check to see if a hit is done
Blocking- Check to see if opponent blocked
Damage- calculate the damage
hit consequences- life and mana stealing, death so on

Hit consequences include loss of durability etc.

Basically each weapon would have a base time.   Each character would have a
multiplier.  That is how long it takes to 'swing' the weapon.  So for
instance I could swing my sword more times than you could swing your big axe,
because mine has a faster base time...  This would make it interesting...
Any ideas on how to make it better, i.e adding spells and the such...