[MUD-Dev] Spherical World Design

Patrick Dughi dughi at imaxx.net
Mon Jul 10 10:42:30 CEST 2000

	Just a general side-comment, from someone who's spent many hours
on what I realized later were neat-yet-pointless additions;

	"Is your world so small that text-based players will actually
'feel' the spherical nature of your world?"

	In any world of a regulation-earth size, it should be impossible
for a player to see the fact that the world is curved.  If it's large
enough, it may just be easy enough to make a rectangular grid with edges
connecting.  Sure, you end up with extra land mass at the corners totaling
about 1/4-1/3 of the actual total, but it's not that horrible of a
thing.  Does it have to be spherical in actuality?

	Of course, if it does, I'm all for using a two-bell flat map.  The
two bells are the shapes you get if you cut a sphere in half so that the
two hemispheres are connected only by a single point - and then distribute
the curve so the spheres lie flat.  It will have the same surface area as
a sphere, and the connections are simple line extends issues, or
wraparound.

							PjD