[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

Patrick Dughi dughi at imaxx.net
Tue Jul 11 08:07:13 CEST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Greg Miller wrote:

> All around, I think both [previously discussed versions of cursing
> characters] would be a lot of fun, even without using them as an
> anti-griefer tool. Hopefully, I'll begin to find out within the next
> year or so. I'm making a lot more forward progress now, and a lot less
> lateral progress.

	Actually, on a game system that I've had the chance to code for
there was a big call for anti-grief tools at the moderate level of impact.
That is, when a player is a jerk but not so much that you have basis to
ban them, or delete their character.

	Our system was pretty simple, and revolved around the idea that
less powerful people would be able to affect the world less.  Admin staff
would flag someone as trouble and the afflicted character would miss
attacks more often, do less damage, be hit harder, fail spells/skills more
often, require more exp to level, etc.

	I was curious what other tools of encouragment there exist for the
handling of these grief players, or potential troublemakers - how are they
handled in other situations?  Is the player-moderated curse/other an
effective system?  Someone had mentioned death being permanant based on
the feelings of other players?

	I might add that I'm coming from a hobbist standpoint; assuming
there is an admin staff on 24/7 is unrealistic.  Of course, peak usage is
probably around 30 players.

				PjD