[MUD-Dev] Re: [Meta] Harry Potter

David Bennett ddt at discworld.atuin.net
Thu Jul 13 00:34:24 CEST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Given the enthusiasm for the Harry Potter books (and their inventive
> and not necessarily linear world) is there a well publicised and
> educated (in the game world) market for a MUD sitting there for us,
> much ala all the WoD based games all copyright and trademark issues
> aside?  Further, is this possibly an entrance point, if not a lever,
> to access otherwise largely untapped sections of the market
> (sub-teens, women, etc)?
>
>   BTW, are there any deompgraphics available on Harry Potter sales?

Discworld has a very high male/femal ratio for just about any
other mud I have run into out there.  I think this is also partly
because we get a large number of people searching for discworld stuff that
have never played muds before at all.  Quite a number of our creators
and players are like this (after I asked them :).

So yes, I think having muds tied to popular genres does open up the
market to other quite people who then get interested in the game.
We also have quite a few older people who play, not just in the
young going to college age.

Fluff!
David.