[MUD-Dev] A new combat system

Ryan P. ixiterra at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 13 23:55:16 CEST 2000

At 10:52 AM 7/13/00 -0700, Joe Russo wrote:
>In this kind of system I think that having "rounds" only confuses things. I
>would
>think that Dexterity bonusus and Hastelike effects would modify the speed of
>the
>weapon or your action (certain tasks where time is a component would
>obviously have
>a fixed speed). This way you get the same effect as far as a quick attack
>speed
>but you dont have the confusing rounds or the idle time that people would
>experience
>from speed points 100-132. If anyone has played in a rolemaster campaign you
>know
>what I am talking about.
>
>-Joe R.

As I said in my earlier post, this is sort of a kludge to bypass MudOS
deficiencies. MudOS can not resolve something down to less than a second.
Now if I had my way, I'd like a swing to be swung as soon as it could
be; unfortunately, I have to deal with MudOS's low points and I have to do
it in a round-by-round system. Although I do think there may be a way I can
get around it, but it may be very CPU intensive with lots of players. I'm not
sure yet. I don't know why rounds are confusing to you, they are pretty
simple to me. And idle time?? Now you're starting to confuse me. =)

--Ryan