[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #163 - 25 msgs

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jul 15 22:39:40 CEST 2000

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 21:30:59 -0500 (CDT)
Mud Imp <pkme at hub.cyberwizards.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Dr. Cat wrote:
>> The dominance of combat-oriented muds is a temporary phenomenon,
>> caused largely by the fact that the small minority of the human
>> population that

> actualy it's a long standing phenomenon stemming from the fact
> that the first game, adventure, was written for people playing
> D&D. and it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Could we lose the e. e. commings bit?  All lower case is not that
easy on the eyes.

> And if you go look at most of the core code of most of the mud's
> out there you'll find that mobs still carry the xDx+x dice roll
> variables (you'll also find a whole lot of other D&D related
> things buried in places in most mud codes). Even games like Ultima
> echo D&D.

This assumes that the entire MUD world is composed of combat
oriented, or at least combased based games.  That's an extremely
narrow view.  Also note that the formal definition of "MUD" for this
list doesn't make that distinction.  See the "What is a MUD?"
section at:

That said, three's a more interesting point underneath this which
may invalidate your argument from an entirely different quarter.  I
have long suspected that the total number of Tiny-* clan players out
there outnumber the total number of PvP MUD players out there (not
counting the overlap) by a significant margin/percentage.  I have
absolutely no formal evidence, just a gut feel from development rate
of the Tiny-* clan, *MOO and derived bases, web site popularity and
maintenance levels, and apparrent population stability (lotsa long
term players).

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga/nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu