[MUD-Dev] Introduction System

Tim Vernum tpv at acay.com.au
Sun Jul 16 14:23:17 CEST 2000

J C Lawrence wrote:

>Eli Stevens <wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps the server could mangle the true name before sending it to
>> the client, and just insure that it will be mangled the same way
>> every time (but differently on a per-player basis)?  But any
>> algorithmic mangling could be reversed engineered to the original
>> state...

>Which is why you have to use on-way functions, perhaps with the
>player's ObjectID as a salt.  Unless your namspaces get large (which
>makes cache management on large multiplayer systems a problem) I
>suspect there's not enough value in putting this locally.
>
>Or are there any *really* cheap salted one-way functions out there?

But isn't part of the client's job to do the reverse also?

You've focused on allowing the client to change
	#UID:10386 says: 'Heya'
	Boffo says: 'Heya'

But at which point do you change
	> point at Boffo
into
	> point at #UID:10386
?

If the client does it, then the server needs to be able to map the
 client's idea of a UID into the server one.
Either your function is two-way, or you need to do brute-force to
 find the object.

If the server does the remap, then what's the point of the client
 storing the data?

--
	[ Tim Vernum ] ~ ~ ~ [ tpv at acay.com.au ]
"4 out of 5 people alive today have never made a telephone call.

--
  [ Tim Vernum ~~~ tpv at acay_com_au ]
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power.