[MUD-Dev] C# vs. LPC

ashon at wsunix.wsu.edu ashon at wsunix.wsu.edu
Mon Jul 17 13:59:21 CEST 2000

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q2/msg01307.php

<Replied from the Archives>

I just recently returned from PDC2000, and was fortunate enough to be of the
mind to grab myself one of the SAMS C# Books.  And while I didn't attend the
modules that dealt with c#, I will give you a run down from the first section of
the book.

Here are the key selling points of C#:
  Simple
  Modern
  Object-Oriented
  Type-Safe
  Versionable
  Compatible
  Flexible

The one that caught my attention was the 'modern' section:
<Quote>
  The effort you put into learning C# is a great investment because C# was
designed to be the premier language for writing NGWS applications.You will find
many features that you had to implement yourself in C++, or that were simply
unavailable, are part of the base C# language implementation.
<EOQ>

  They added decimal support, removed pointers, made error handling more robust,
and works with NGWS for security.

  It seems to me that C# is an OS oriented language that has 2 main goals, 1) be
used for the new NGWS architecture, and 2) exterminate DLL Hell.  *UGH*

  Let's just say I'll be avoiding C# for mud development.

-Lord Ashon