[MUD-Dev] Re: Introduction System

Chris Turner christ at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 13:45:12 CEST 2000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Colin Coghill wrote:

> >On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Ryan P. wrote:
> >
> >That's what Accursed Lands and other LPs I have seen with an introduction
> >system in place seem to use.  It looks like this:
> >
> >                             Accursed Lands
> >a man with large hazel eyes
> >an old man with long black hair
> >a man with shoulder length dirty blonde hair
>
> I'm curious as to how such systems would handle two unintroduced players
> in the same room, who happened to have the same description.

Well an easy way of doing this, is to start off by using the least amount
of adjectives and slowly build them up.  For example

   >look
   A man is here.
   A tall man is here.
   A bald man is here.
   A tall, bald man is here.

If you still have clashes then rather than refering to them as "a ....",
you could have "another man is here" or even (since they're identical?)
"several men are here".  I'd hope though, that in a decent system you
would never get clashes - or at least very rarely - because of the wide
range of differences you can have.  Even clothing would help generate
unique identifiers.

> Do players have any way of differentiating between two short red-haired
> dwarves who haven't yet been named/introduced ?

How is this different from wandering into a room and seeing 3 identical
NPCs?  They don't - they kill them one by one until there aren't any left.
Seriously though, most muds I've seen allow you to type "examine 1.man" or
something similiar - basically allowing you to add some form of numerical
adjective to the noun.

Chris
--
christ at rd.bbc.co.uk   #include <stddisclaimer.h>   http://www.fysh.org/~maddy

   "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
             - Monty Python's Life of Brian