[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #163 - 25 msgs

Patrick Dughi dughi at imaxx.net
Tue Jul 18 16:02:09 CEST 2000

> From: Greg Miller <gmiller at classic-games.com>
>
>     It is *not* more accurate to equate Grief Players with Killers.  Killers
> are defined by their desire to hold and excercise control over other
> players, Griefers are defined by their desire to *cause other people grief*.
> All Griefers are Killers, but (thank god, considering their numbers) not all
> Killers are Griefers.  Not even close.

	Not all griefers are killers, not even close.  What about those
that jump on and use global communication to advertise pornography sites.
What about the ones that follow a person around and make fun of what
they're doing just to get them upset?  What about people who log on 40
characters at once and perform some action in a room so as to obliterate
any messaging going on in there for any player (text muds in this case).
How about grief players who are represented by the impotent player
who _used_ to be a grief player before he was deleted/banned/jailed/etc,
and now only logs on to issue threats or untrue claims about the mud?
What about those who hound the female players for cybersex (and yes, this
happens around 5 times a play session for an average female-looking
player, on a few muds I've seen).

	If you even have player killing on your system, I'd think it's the
least thing to worry about.  I'm worried about the 98% of other players
who found easier ways to cause grief to the players and admins of the
system.

	Sides, killing is an in-game activity.  You should already have
a mechanism in-game to regulate it, like you do with every other in-game
activity, like equipment procurement, monster slaying, spell casting, and
power(level) gains.

						PjD