eXistenZ WAS -- RE: [MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #163 - 25 msgs

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Jul 19 11:47:04 CEST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Zak Jarvis wrote:

> The basis of the movie is this interview:
>=20
> http://zappa.users.netlink.co.uk/cr_rushd.html
>=20
> where the writer/director of the film -- David Cronenberg -- interviews
> Salman Rushdie. Among many other things, the two ponder whether or not =
> game could ever be art. eXistenZ is a further exploration of that quest=
ion.
>=20

I would have to disagree with mr. Rushdie on the point
(that games are not 'truly' art), It sounds like he excludes the posibili=
ty
of interactivity by the spectator in any artform.=20

   'DC: But this is really subverting what you want from art.=20
        You want to be taken over and you want to be-'
   'SR:Shown something.'

I find that opinion rather puzzeling. Am i missing something?

>  Go rent eXistenZ
  Will do.

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk=

address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425   =
  __|
 Dybendalsvej 74 2. th, | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological =

 2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark. |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of D=
enmark|