[MUD-Dev] Modelling combat

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 19 14:25:48 CEST 2000

Wednesday, July 19, 2000, 12:34:42 PM, Vladimir Prelovac <tomcat at galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:
> From: Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net>

>> Comment:  movie combats are not a good place to look to see how real
>> combat works.  Now, for a mud, you're probably more interested in

> Problem is that I have no other reference. Even if I was training some
> martial art I still couldnt feel what was it like when a full armored knight
> charges a barbarian wielding only an axe. So for my starting point movies
> are pretty good reference (btw. did anyone ever see a movie when someone
> actually casts fireball? post a name here please)

There are some good books you can use for research; my favorites are:

_Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques_ and
_Renaissance Swordsmanship: The Illustrated Use of Rapiers and
Cut-and-Thrust Swords_, both by John Clements.

These two books are the best references I know to reconstructed
Medieval and Renaissance methods of swordplay.  Both are well-written
(though the author comes on strong sometimes about his biases against
certain forms of re-enactment) and have plentiful illustrations.  Both
are available from Amazon and B&N.  The author is also a high-ranking
method of the Historical Armed Combat Association, which can be found
at:

  http://www.thehaca.com

For more ancient weapons and armor, Gabriel and Metz's book _From
Sumer to Rome: The Military Capabilities of Ancient Armies_ gives some
data, although its not a "guide to use" the way the prior two are.

>> My comments above are meant as mostly minor criticisms; you've got a
>> solid core idea there.  Please consider the invitation to rpg-create;
>> if this is the sort of thing you enjoy thinking and writing about,
>> you'll fit right in there.

> Thank you for your comments. They surprised me by the level of detail and
> with how much I had to agree with them.

And thank you for your thanks.  Your post is exactly the same kind of
thing I like to think about with regards to RPG rules, so I was happy
to read it and comment on it.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>