[MUD-Dev] RE: eXistenZ

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Wed Jul 19 14:38:58 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Zak Jarvis <zak at voidmonster.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 2:07 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] RE: eXistenZ

SR: "In the end, a work of art is something which comes out of somebody's
imagination and takes a final form. It's offered and is then completed by
the reader or the viewer or whoever it may be. Anything else is not what I
would recognize as a work of art. "

Okay, this definition certainly leaves MUD-like games out, they never stop
changing till someone flips the power switch for the last time.  But it's
bogus, live theatre wouldn't count by that definition (well, the written
play would be art, but the actual performance wouldn't be).  Neither would
dance, or singing, or any of the other performing arts.  And SR may make a
point of getting off the case, but more than one author has gone back and
re-written his early work, even after it had been published in the original
form.  Same for film, "Director's Cut", anyone?

It's not too relevant to me, I don't know about art, but I know what I like.

--Dave Rickey