[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Ben bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Fri Jul 21 15:36:59 CEST 2000

    Many MUDs make the mistake of assuming that the role everyone wants to
play is that of a hack-n-slashing mass murderer... not everybody feels that
way.  I think that the best way to make a roleplaying MUD is to completely
do away with "levels" and the such.  Instead make a system where experience
is also earned through complex and in-depth quests, and make it so that the
levels don't affect your power and damage, but instead affect just what
weapons and stuff you can use.  Recently I stumble upon the Urban Desire
Project, which has some really great ideas pertaining to Roleplaying in
Muds.  The currently posted version is not complete, but if you contact the
guy who wrote it he will send you versions 1 and 2, the he doesn't respond
immediately.  Also I am planning on posting the older versions on my site
and a re-formatted version of the current edition as soon as I get a good
free-host.

    Doing away with the combat basis of MUDs, makes it alot easier to have a
more sustainable eco-system.  People don't have to slaughter the pigs, and
actually doing so doesn't give them any exp, this means that the quests are
gonna be played a lot more, for the massive exp and good items recieved upon
the completion of a quest.