[MUD-Dev] Number Economy

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jul 21 20:16:21 CEST 2000

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Philip Loguinov, Draymoor wrote:

> I'm using a number economy for, well, my economy ;)
> With a huge multi-city world, people might tend to pool in one city (Like
> the classic Midgaard scenario in Dikus). To help curb this, there are
> differant currencies whose value works on a supply and demand system. As a
> currency is used, inflation occures. The currency becomes more valuable and
> local prices go higher, however availability lessons. By travelling to other
> cities/countries, where prices havn't risen, you can get things cheaper.
> Along with other benefits, I'm trying to get people to stay in differant
> cities. If everyone is in one place, then the cost of living will get
> insane.

Splitting people up into various cities is easy. Simply give the players
some control over the cities, and give them ways to declare other players
persona-non-grata in that city. In Achaea, we've got 3 player-run cities,
and some players rarely even set foot in foreign cities, as they will be
attacked quite quickly by the city telepaths and archers. All the cities
are quite distinct from each other in terms of their 'feeling' and so on.

--matt