[MUD-Dev] Classless systems

Gabriel gjsfaun at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 22 14:22:46 CEST 2000

From: "Mordengaard"
> Here on Yhared we're running a classless system, although we allow players
> to join "class" guilds if they feel uncomfortable without the restricted
> skill options.  We've also removed levels and lumped attributes and spells
> under the "skills" category.  I've always felt that people should be able
> learn anything they want, but in recognition of the fact that not everyone
> is good at everything they try, we've introduced Aptitudes.  These are a
> randomly generated group of modifiers which are hidden from the player,
and
> are applied to skills when training or practice is done.  For example, if
> Boffo has an aptitude in Fencing (the sword skill, not the farm kind),
he'll
> be able to train and practice that skill easier than a skill he does not
> have an aptitude in.

This is very close to how I've done it. Every mob has a starsign they were
born under. Every skill in the skill web is associated with some starsigns.
In this way, someone that's born a "gemini" might be good at using any skill
in the sword-class but would get a penalty for those skills associated with
"sailing".

I have Traits & Faults as well (ala White Wolf and other games) but they
don't directly effect the skill web. Instead they influence how the
beginning stats are rolled (directly modifies the beginning stat which is
part of a pre-made template) or provide special abilities (psionics) or
handicaps (phobias, mental disorders, etc).

Regards,

Gabriel Schuyler