[MUD-Dev] Questing Systems

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 23 13:03:51 CEST 2000

On Saturday, July 22, 2000, Ben wrote:

>     I was planning on making it so that quests can be used for exp instead
> of just charging into every existing room and swinging your axe until you
> level up.  Of course if I were to do this it would require a much more
> advanced type of quest than is currently implemented.  It couldn't be just
> "go here and kill this", it would have to be involved.

>     One way I thought of doing this was to use flags.  For example a mud
> would for instance have flags 1 to 255.  If the quest was simply to go here
> and kill this then when I entered the given room I might get flag 1.  Then
> when I killed that it would check to see if flag 1 was true, if it was I
> would have completed the quest.  Now obviously there would have to be many
> triggers etc... for this to work, but does anybody have ideas for a better
> questing system.

That's actually how the Palm game "Kyle's Quest" works.  A particular
adventure (or "level", to use their terms) can have up to 256 flags.
The level builder can have events set flags, which can later be
tested.  There's a limited selection of things that can trigger
events, but among them are killing monsters, talking to NPCs, or
stepping on "trigger squares".

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>