[MUD-Dev] Thoughts on Classless systems

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Sun Jul 23 14:08:25 CEST 2000

  Travis Casey wrote:

> However, this isn't the only sort of class system that exists.  Some
> games have what might be called "channeling" classes.  In these, a
> character can learn to do anything (generally via a skill system), but
> it's easier for characters to learn certain things, which are
> determined by their class.  The character's class also often sets
> starting skill levels.  Such systems usually restrict characters to
> having just one class.  Rolemaster is an example of this type of
> system.

It's always seemed to me that this was primarily a result of trying to
encourage specialization while using a skill system that wasn't designed
for it. As such, I've always preferred the idea of tweaking the skill
system itself instead.

> Another is additive classes.  In these, a class is simply a package of
> skills; characters can take more than one class, in which case they
> have the skills of all the classes they've taken.  Advancing in the
> class advances the skills associated with it, and there's generally a
> way to buy skills that don't belong to any class you have.  This gives
> a sort of classless class system; you can effectively "change classes"
> at any time simply by stopping developing one class and starting to
> develop another.  Fantasy wargaming is an example of this sort of
> system, and 3rd edition D&D is approaching this sort of system.
>
> (Note that some RPGs use one of these class systems, but call it
> something else -- "professions", for example.)

Aturion Dynasty has a variation on this theme. It has a set of
professions, and each prof is simply a prerequisite for certain skills.
On the other hand, it does include a few special abilities for some
profs (along the lines of restrictive classes) and this is used in
combination with a simple prerequisite skill tree (which was apparently
not considered sufficient to encourage specilization in and of itself).

--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.