[MUD-Dev] Classless systems

Val Trullinger vtrullin at chapman.edu
Mon Jul 24 09:28:02 CEST 2000

"Ryan P." wrote:

> The major point I think needs to be decay and dampeners. By decay I mea=
> that stats/skills/whatever needs to decay quickly when not in use.

At The Two Towers, we've got a decaying system of skills. Your primary sk=
ills and
stats decay at a fairly slow rate, as do your main professional skills; y=
our
secondary skills from other professions decay much faster, and are only t=
rainable
to 60 (as opposed to 100, the maximum for your primary skills/stats).

For example, here's some made-up stats/skills for a dwarven warrior:

Stats:          Base + (Race * Base / 20) =3D Total.
Strength     :   100 + (   2 *  100 / 20) =3D   110
Intelligence :   100 + (  -1 *  100 / 20) =3D    95
Constitution :   100 + (   3 *  100 / 20) =3D   115
Agility      :   100 + (  -1 *  100 / 20) =3D    95
Coordination :   100 + (  -2 *  100 / 20) =3D    90
Charisma     :   100 + (  -1 *  100 / 20) =3D    95
  --Average:      100
//stats don't decay. however, you lose them through death, which is a ver=
y real
and frequent possibility.

Common skills:
Aim            : 100       Attack         : 100       Awareness      :  9=
1
Defense        :  99       Dodge          : 100       Fire building  :  3=
3
Hypnotism      :  71       Riding         :  62
//these common skills are usable by anyone. 'hypnotism' is an exception: =
someone
decided that guild skills should be listed under 'common skills' *sigh.

Professional Skills:               Other Skills:
Blind fighting   : 100             Location         :   3
Blocking         : 100             Wilderness       :   1
Combat arms      :  98
Tactics          : 100

//professsional skills are self-explanatory; other skills are skills from=
 other
professions. here, location is a sheriff skill, wilderness a ranger skill.

To switch professions, your first set of primary professional skills must=
 decay
to a fairly low point before you can replace them with the new set of pro=
f.
skills. However, we have a fairly limited skill tree. Stifling, even. Thi=
s would
probably not work well with a larger system.

Also, it's possible to choose 'civilian' as your profession, which gives =
you no
professional skills at all, and is quite a detriment. The civilians who m=
ax out
are few and far between.

As for dampening=85 The Two Towers hasn't managed a system yet where we h=
ave
wizards who can't wear armour, etc. As a fairly strict Tolkien-based MUD,=
 Gandalf
going around swinging Glamdring as well as a staff  throws a wrench into =
that.
*grin*

val