[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

John Buehler johnbue at email.msn.com
Mon Jul 24 10:14:40 CEST 2000

Jon A. Lambert
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 2:26 AM

>Yum.  So do I.  However, I like to wrap it up in the trappings of
>a democracy.   Allow players to vote on everything but never
>get around to implementing the ideas you don't like.  Fake the voting
>with mule characters on the bread and circus ideas, or your pet ideas.
>Ask for their opinions but then ignore them, unless it fits in with
>your plans.  And finally give them full credit and acclamation for
>suggesting ideas you may have planned for many moons or have planted
>in their heads via mule characters.  The trick is to make the players
>believe they run the mud.

  This is one of the most detestable posts I've ever read.  You're
advocating treating your customers like idiots, manipulating them
without any respect.  This may be 'practical', but it caters to a
weak, manipulative admin whose lies will eventually be discovered
and players will again be alienated.

  When you run a MUD or any other consumer-oriented service, you are
responsible for treating your customers with respect.  It's a tough
thing to do - especially when your customers don't treat YOU with
respect - and not everyone can handle it.  The ones who can't
should step down.

JB