[MUD-Dev] Realism and NPCs

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 11:34:38 CEST 2000

Sunday, July 23, 2000, 4:29:38 PM, Ben <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com> wrote:

>     I have tried out dartmud, and the idea of giving each npc a brain is
> interesting.  But the obvious problem that I can see is the kind of ram and
> space it would take up.  Does anyone know of anyones of solving this
> problem?

One thing to do would be to give different NPCs the same brain -- or
at least, have them share portions of their brain.  For example, all
the "animals" on the mud might share the same brain code, with just
variables being stored individually for each one.  Even some variables
might be shared -- for example, peasants in a particular village could
share a randomized set of responses for greetings and such.

Dartmud is an LP if I recall correctly... so I'd bet that most of the
NPC brains are simply cloned from the same object and then have
parameters set.  On an LP, it's also easy to create "intermediate"
brain objects -- e.g., there might be a general "stock NPC" brain,
which could be called by the "Foo peasant" brain code for responses to
things it doesn't handle, which in turn is called by "Charlie the
shopkeeper's" brain code, which can also call the "stock shopkeeper"
brain module.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>